False reports linking the Lewiston, Maine mass shooter to Andover had officials working to alert and assure residents the threats were not credible.
A report that the suspect in Wednesday’s that left at least 18 people dead may have entered Massachusetts via Interstate 93 south. The report proved to be unfounded, but not before a preschool in south Andover went into lockdown.
Disclaimer: The author’s daughter attends Primrose School of Andover.
Primrose School of Andover at 503 South Main Street briefly went into lockdown until Andover, North Reading, and Massachusetts State Police confirmed there was no threat. The preschool and daycare said the threat had been reported by a member of the community. The school was being “extra cautious,” and canceled outdoor activities for the remainder of the week.
“We immediately went into a lockdown to ensure that nobody could enter the building while we evaluated the situation,” Primrose said in a note to parents just before 10:30 a.m. “We are happy to report our teachers all acted quickly, and all children are safe and happy.”
Andover Public Schools also sent a note sent to families reassuring them there was no threat.
“I have been in contact with the Andover Police Department (APD) and there is no active or credible information at this time linking the individual or vehicle used by the suspect to the Andover community,” Superintendent Magda Parvey said. “The APD is monitoring the situation and will keep us informed should anything change.”