The Andover Health Division regularly inspects restaurants and stores that serve and sell food. Andover News reviewed reports from health inspections conducted during the month of October.
It’s important to note it’s not unusual for a restaurant to have a few minor infractions in a report. It’s also worth noting the health division only resumed inspections this year after curtailing them in March 2020 at the start of the coronavirus pandemic.
“The reports do not always reflect the nuances of the regulations, and very few establishments will have ‘no violations’,” Andover Public Health Director Thomas Carbone said when we posted restaurant inspection reports from June 1 through Aug. 21. “Our inspection program is designed to assist the establishments in providing a safe product for their customers; compliance with the food code is the best way to ensure that safety.”
Going forward, Andover News will be requesting and publishing reports monthly. Look for November’s inspection reports in early December.
The reports below are broken into three categories: restaurants, stores and other establishments, which can include schools, nursing homes and other facilities that serve food.
34 Park, 34 Park Street, on Oct. 6: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Andover Town Market, 429 South Main Street, on Oct. 6: 1 violation, 0 repeat violations
- Observed handwashing sink to left of grill with articles being stored directly inside of sink at time of inspection.
- Observed chickpeas, sliced cherry tomatoes, salsa, and black beans all in top section of salad in-line refrigerator at 50ºF, 48ºF, 47ºF, and 57ºF respectively. Chef states intent to discard affected foods above.
- Observed multiple knives being stored between back of knife holder and wall.
- Observed multiple instances of utensils being stored in containers of room temperature water.
- Observed quaternary sanitizer testing strips with an expiration date of “February 15, 2021.”
- Observed hood vent filters above fryers with accumulation of dust.
- Observed incomplete consumer advisory.
- Observed hood sticker with last service indicated of “December 13, 2021.”
RE-INSPECTION of Andover Town Market on Oct. 19: 1 violation, 0 repeat violations
- OBSERVED COOKED BROCCOLI, HARD-BOILED EGGS, CHICKPEAS, SLICED CHERRY TOMATOES, BLACK BEANS, DICED TOMATOES, AND DICED SWEET POTATOES ALL IN OPEN-FACE TOP SECTION OF SALAD IN-LINE REFRIGERATOR RANGING IN TEMPERATURES FROM 43-50ºF. CHEF STATES FOODS WERE PLACED IN UNIT AT APPROXIMATELY 6:45AM THIS MORNING. PIC ADJUSTED THERMOSTAT IN UNIT DURING TIME OF INSPECTION. PIC STATES INTENTION TO MONITOR TEMPERATURES IN UNIT MORE FREQUENTLY. IF TEMPERATURES IN UNIT DO NOT RETURN TO 41ºF WITHIN AN HOUR AFTER ADJUSTMENT OF THERMOSTAT, PIC TO CALL FOR ADDITIONAL SERVICE AND SEND STATUS UPDATE OR REPAIR SLIP TO HEALTH OFFICE.
- CHEF STATES QUATERNARY SANITIZER TESTING STRIPS HAVE BEEN ORDERED AND ARE SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE SOON.OBSERVED HOOD VENT FILTERS ABOVE FRYERS AND GRILL IN SAME CONDITION AS MENTIONED [IN ORIGINAL INSPECTION]. REVIEWED WITH PIC AND CHEF TO CLEAN FILTERS IN BETWEEN PROFESSIONAL CLEANING SERVICES TO DECREASE ACCUMULATIONS.
- PIC STATES PROFESSIONAL HOOD CLEANING SERVICE HAS BEEN SCHEDULED
Casa Blanca, 10-16 Main Street, on Oct. 6: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Mr. Takeout Grill & Deli, 54 Haverhill Street, on Oct. 12: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Thai Sweet Basil, 207 North Main Street, on Oct. 6: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Elm Square Liquor Company, 2 Elm Square, on Sept. 29: 1 violation, 0 repeat violations
- No written procedure or kit available for responding to vomiting and diarrheal events. Provided PIC with written procedure for how to respond to a bodily spill.
Shawsheen Liquors, 2 Poor Street, on Oct. 19: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Wine Sense, 166 North Main Street, on Sept. 29: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Corporate Chefs, 150 Minuteman Road, on Sept. 29: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Epicurean Feast (MKS Invesments), 6 Shattuck Road, on Oct. 19: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Eurest Dining (Raytheon), 50 Minuteman Road, on Oct. 12: 2 violations, 0 repeat violations
- Observed sliced tomatoes, sausage patties, shredded cheese, and liquid eggs all in cold holding table on serving line at 57ºF, 57ºF, 57ºF, and 45ºF respectively. Observed ice in bottom of unit not making direct contact with pans.
- Observed container of corned beef hash and wrapped, sliced cheese with “prep dates” of “9/30” and “9/28” respectively. Discussed date marking requirements with PIC.
- Observed pan of roast beef in the process of cooling in walk-in refrigerator covered with plastic wrap.
- Observed quaternary sanitizer testing strips with an expiration date of “February 1, 2019.”
- Observed allergen certificate that is not recognized by MA Department of Public Health.
Flik International (Putnam Investments), 7 Shattuck Road, on Oct. 19: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Flik International, 29 Frontage Road, on Sept. 29: 3 violations, 0 repeat violations
- Observed ice machine with slight accumulation of what appears to be mold on front of plastic chute guard and around chute.
- Observed deli slicer with slight accumulation of food particles on back of blade.
- Observed sausages in pan on heating surface on serving line between 119-120ºF.
- Observed consumer advisory statement sign on serving line missing asterisk and poached eggs on menu missing asterisk. No footnote available.
RE-INSPECTION: Flik International (Vicor), 25 Frontage Road, on Oct. 12: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Homewood Suites, 4 Riverside Drive, On Oct. 4: 1 violation, 0 repeat violations
- No written procedure or kit available for responding to vomiting and diarrheal events.
- No irreversible registering temperature indicator available to test high-temperature warewashing machine at time of inspection.
- No food thermometer on site that takes both hot and cold temperatures of foods.
Residence Inn, 500 Minuteman Road, on Oct. 12: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Sonesta Suites, 4 Tech Drive, on Oct. 19: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations
Springhill Suites, 550 Minuteman Road, on Oct. 12: 0 violations, 0 repeat violations