The Andover Select Board approved a liquor license at its meeting at the Robb Center Monday for a new sports lounge that will feature six golf simulators.
Matchplay Golf & Sports Lounge plans to open its sixth location in Shawsheen Plaza at 209 North Main Street. The restaurant will be located in a space that has been empty for six years since Rite Aid closed.
Andrew Zappaa and Dylan Walsh of Matchplay did not have a target opening date but said they plan to begin site work and renovations next month. When completed, the facility will have seating for 112 and offer a full beverage and food menu.
The board approved the license 4-0, with Annie Gilbert abstaining.
Andover Gets $256,000 In Opioid Settlement
Andover received $106,000 and will receive an additional $50,000 in each of the next year as part of a $26 billion class action settlement with Johnson & Johnson, town counsel Tom Urbelis told the select board.
Andover and hundreds of municipalities across the country have joined lawsuits against opioid makers and sellers to recoup expenses to combat the opioid epidemic. Urbelis said Andover was continuing to explore how to use funds from settlements like the $26 billion Johnson & Johnson settlement to mitigate opioid-related expenses.
In Other Business
In other business Monday, the select board:
- unanimously approved an application for submission to the Massachusetts Department of Revenue to forgo a special election if special town meeting approves additional funding for the West Elementary School and Shawsheen Preschool construction project, which is about $16.5 million over its $151.6 million budget.
- heard an update from Ann Ormond, the town’s director of business, arts and culture.
Video of Nov. 7 Select Board meeting from Andover TV:
- 0:00:00 – Call to order/announcements/reports
- 0:05:55 – Reports from individual select board members
- 0:09:58 – Public input
- 0:12:07 – Matchplay Golf & Sports Lounge liquor license hearing
- 0:22:11 – Town Governance
- 0:54:28 – Update from director of business, arts and culture.
- 1:12:18 – West El debt exclusion
- 1:18:03 – Consent agenda
- 1:19:30 – Adjourn into closed-door executive session